Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Intern Spotlight: Stacy Cammarano, Legal Intern at Human Rights USA


Stacy Cammarano is a rising third year law student at the University of Texas School of Law, who is pursuing a career in international human rights litigation and advocacy.

Why were you interested in interning with Human Rights USA?
I was attracted to the organization's unique approach to human rights advocacy. I was intrigued that they used impact litigation in the domestic arena to promote compliance with international law. Until now, I had experience working with international law and domestic law separately and this summer it was exciting to see firsthand how the two areas applied to each other.

What was one of your most memorable moments working with Human Rights USA this summer?
I was given the opportunity on several occasions to interview survivors of torture during my internship with Human Rights USA. Hearing them recount their experiences of extreme mistreatment by U.S. soldiers opened my eyes to how important this kind of work really is, and made the cases all the more real to me. The fact that I have the potential to bring a remedy for a client who has suffered in this was is inspiring, and was by far one of the highlights of my summer.

How are you planning to advocate for human rights in the future, and how will you bring what you learned at Human Rights USA back to law school with you in the fall?
I'm planning on continuing in this same line of work after I graduate, and the skills I've developed during my internship will be extremely helpful to my career in the future. This summer, I performed a lot of the same tasks that I will be performing as a human rights lawyer, such as drafting pleadings and interviewing clients. I learned a lot of helpful strategies for interviewing clients who have been through devastating conditions. These are the sorts of skills that are best developed through hands-on experience, and I know that armed with these tools I will be able to make a real impact with human rights litigation in the years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment